Undisthreadness

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Lacy diamond square

I haven’t posted anything for quite a time! I went to Santo André (São Paulo State) to visit some crocheter friends and to Rio de Janeiro to see a friend and my mother.

A crochet meeting is something I recommend to everybody! There isn’t anything better in the world than to talk for hours (or days!!!) about crochet with people who understand what is a dc!!!

Today I’ll post a pattern I designed in september 2001 for an international crochet square swap.




Size: 15 cm (6”)

Material: sport weight yarn, 4-mm hook (G). 3 Colors: 1 = pastel varigated; 2 = violet; 3 = white.

Abbreviations: rd = round, ch = chain, sc = single crochet (American), slst = slip stitch, dc = double crochet (American), hdc = half double crochet

With Color 1, Ch 4. Join with sl st to form a ring. Ch 1.

1st round: [sc, ch 2] 3 times in the ring, sc in the ring, ch 1, sc in the top of the first sc (you are joining the round with a sc instead of a sl st; this sc should be interpreted as a last ch.). Ch 1.

2nd round: make 1 sc around the closing sc of the previous row (remember, it’s to be looked at as a ch, not as a sc!), sc in the next sc, *[sc, ch2, sc] in the next 2-ch loop, sc in the next sc*, repeat from * to * twice more, sc in the next loop, ch 1, sc on top of beginning sc. (total of 12 sc with 4 2-ch loops at the corners).

3rd and 4th rounds: beginning and ending each round as in the 2nd round, make 1 sc in each sc, [sc, ch 2, sc] in the corners. FO.

Join Color 2 to the 4th sc of any side of the square.

5th round: Ch 3 (stands for 1 dc), ch 3, sc in the corner loop, ch 3, *[dc, ch 4, dc] in the 4th sc of the next side, ch 3, sc in the next corner loop, ch 3*, repeat from * to * twice more, dc in the same stitch you joined Color 2, ch 2, dc in the 3rd beginning chain. (you are joining the round with a dc instead of a ch 2, sl st; this dc should be interpreted as 2 ch.) Ch 1.

6th round: 2 sc on loop, *1 sc in next dc, 3 sc on loop, 1 sc on next sc, 3 sc on loop, 1 sc in next dc, [2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc] on corner loop*, repeat from * to * twice more, 3 sc on loop, 1 sc on next sc, 3 sc on loop, 1 sc in next dc, 2 sc on loop, ch 1, sc around the first sc.

Finish the last 6th-rd sc with Color 3.

7th round: With Color 3: ch 3 (stands for 1 dc), 1 dc in the next sc, *ch 2, group of 2 dc (yo, insert hook in the same stitch of the last dc, pull a loop, yo, pull a loop through 2 loops on the hook, yo, skip 2 st, insert hook in the 3rd stitch, pull a loop, yo, pull a loop through 2 loops on the hook, yo, pull through all the loops on the hook)*; repeat from * to * 3 times more; ch 2, group of 2 dc, inserting the hook for the 2nd dc in the 2-ch loop at the corner, ch 3, group of 2 dc (make the first one in the corner loop, the second one in the first sc of the next side); repeat from * to * 4 times; keep working this way until you finish the round, with ch 2, 1 hdc on top of the first ch-3.

8th round: Similar to 7th rd; but there’s one more 2-dc group in each side of the square (look at the picture).

9th round: Sc.

8 Comments:

  • Hi!
    I love the work you do and all the information you give out on CP.
    I seem to have a problem seeing the photo on your blog. I can't see it with the post, although if I click on the empty box that comes, I can see the pic. I wonder if it's just me?
    Thanks for the pattern!

    By Blogger MrsFife, at 7:25 PM  

  • Hi!
    I love the work you do and all the information you give out on CP.
    I seem to have a problem seeing the photo on your blog. I can't see it with the post, although if I click on the empty box that comes, I can see the pic. I wonder if it's just me?
    Thanks for the pattern!

    By Blogger MrsFife, at 7:25 PM  

  • You do such beautiful work. I enjoy your comments on the list. I am new on it and I look for you everytime I get a digest. Keep up the great work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 PM  

  • Nice One - I am just beginning to hunt for new patterns, came across the site with link to this pattern - again very nice. Doing my own patterns is also fun. Not many guys crocheting, but hey, probably more than you think.

    By Anonymous Andi MacInnes, at 3:20 AM  

  • Thank you for the pattern, very pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    By Blogger Minerva, at 4:58 PM  

  • Hi I'm making a blanket for my mom for Christmas and I think this would fit in great with it. However I'm a little confused on round 2. What do you mean by make 1 sc around the closing sc of the previous round? I'm not new to crochet, however I've never seen a pattern with something like this in it. It is a beautiful square and I would love to make it! Please explain round 2 to me if you don't mind :) thank you in advance!

    By Blogger Brandi, at 8:51 PM  

  • Hi, Brandi. In this round I use a technique from thread crochet: you finish a round with a taller stitch instead of some chains and a slip stitch. So, think of the last sc from round 1 as if it was a chain; you'll begin the next round making a sc inserting the hook into the space below this sc, involving it as it was a chain space.

    By Blogger BeMedina, at 5:17 PM  

  • Okay thank you! Now I'm confused about the part right after. It says to sc in the next sc but if I do that it would skip a 2-chain space. I just reading it wrong? Thank you again for your help!

    By Blogger Brandi, at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home